Sunday 10 May 2015

Hair Routine | How to Maintain Long Hair




Since I began growing my hair out in 2012 my hair has become very low maintenance for me, I barely put much effort into styling it on most days. To keep the frizz at bay and my hair under control there are a few things I do.

Wash

Washing long hair can be a curse from the gods. It takes forever to spread the shampoo and even then its a struggle to get it over all of your head. Then comes the conditioner but do you apply it in the roots? or not?

Personally when washing my hair I tend to go for which ever shampoo needs using. Right now I have been switching between Aussie's Mega Shampoo and Aussome Volume, they smell amazing and leave my hair feeling squeaky clean and volumised. As for conditioner I go for a more hydrating formula, such as the Elvive Extraordinary Oils. I do only apply conditioner to the ends of my hair as this seals in the ends, and if I apply it to the roots it can leave me with a greasy scalp. Everyone's hair is different. A good thing for long hair also is to do a deep treatment on the hair to really nourish your hair and scalp, you can buy expensive treatments or use things from your home like coconut oil.

One thing I can say when maintaining long hair is do not wash your hair everyday, if you can help it. When you washing your hair you are stripping it of the natural oils that keep your hair hydrated and nourished. Also by leaving it a day or two your hair over time will effectively become less greasy after that amount of time, bonus? I wash my hair every other day, which is what best suits me. However in between washes my hair needs a but of lifting and for that I use the Batiste Dry Shampoo, which just helps to remove excess oils and boosts volume on those limp days.

Dry

Here is a simple answer, don't. If you can change your routine to not using a hair dryer to dry your hair. The less heat you use on your hair the less split ends you'll get, fact. Washing your hair at night and letting it air dry as you sleep will prove much better for your hair in the long run than using a hair dryer.

Manage

I said my hair routine was low maintenance. In fact when my hair is dry I mostly leave it as it is, but on the occasion of my hair being a frizzy mess when I wake up I tend to do either one of two things. I apply the Organix Argan Oil into the ends of my hair to smooth out the frizz, it makes my hair appear soft and healthy. Or I will straighten out small sections that need it such as my fringe. That way it makes it look like you spent that little more time on your hair than you actually did, but don't forget the heat protectant.  Also a product that saved me from hours of torture when brushing my hair was the Tangle Teaser. This brush is my godsent, all other brushes I have used really pull on my hair and leave it frizzy, not this. A little trick I picked up with having long hair that if you start brushing your hair from the bottom up, reduces breakage and painful pulling on the hair.

Styling

It can seem easier with long hair to just chuck it up in a pony tail or top knot, but if you have it show it off and let it down. It can also prove better for your hair too as pulling it up can increase breakage, encouraging the hairs to fall out. Also does anyone else get that headache when you take down a pony tail? I for the most of it leave my hair down and what if I'm having a bad hair day? I chuck on a hat, that always makes it better.



5 comments:

  1. I have quite long hair (almost down to my belly button) and I do most of these things! I always get a headache from having my hair up in a ponytail, that's why I don't have it like that often. I never dry my hair with a hair dryer, I always let it dry naturally.

    -Charlotte xo (http://allthingsmakeupbeautyandlife.blogspot.co.uk/)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this argon oil too and love it, does amazing things for my hair! x
    Hannah | Heyitshannaah

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hair is curly but we have similar hair routines, I never shampoo every day or else it'll just make my hair super brittle. I find that argan oil does wonders in reducing frizz and adding shine to my hair but I don't use the same brand as yours
    Dalal x :) | monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Batiste dry shampoo, seems great.

    Golden chapter

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! could you maybe do a what i eat in a day post or some of your health tips/ easy recipies, i'd be really intrested on how you made your smootie bowl !!xxx

    ReplyDelete

ALL CONTENT AND IMAGES © GEORGIA LOUISE 2014 UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED | TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS